"Be yourself. Above all, let who you are, what you are, what you believe, shine through every sentence you write, every piece you finish." - John Jakes

Saturday, August 13, 2011

First few days of work

First a funny & actually kinda sad story from today and then about work.

Today Charlie had to turn his gear back into work and since it was the OSC graduation he had to go in early (OSC is basically bootcamp for Marine officer hopefuls, Charlie works there for right now). I got up to help him gather things together and was helping him carrying stuff to the car. So the setting is this: really early morning, Charlie in cammies, me carrying big bag..... looks like a deployment routine. And the sad thing is the animals recognize this, Lucy had such a heartbroken look on her face and while we tried to tell her it wasn't what she thought she didn't understand.

So after he left I went back to bed and Lucy & Courage were so mopey and needed, Lucy was even crying in her sleep. They really thought he wasn't coming back for awhile. So when Charlie got home both animals were so ecstatic to see him, wanting pets & lovings and just to be close to him. It's really funny that they reacted that way but also pretty sad that they recognized what a deployment leaving looks like, they sure have had their fair share of experiences.

As I said before I got a job at Subway. It's on the TBS side of base (basically where the Marine officers go after graduating OSC to learn to be officers) so it's only open Mon-Fri (which is great so I can have my weekends with the hubby). Anyway Thursday was my first day, it was a pretty slow day (guess most of the units were in the field doing training) so it was a good day to learn everything. Friday however was a normal day and boy were we slammed! I'm currently working afternoons (another awesome thing, hope it stays that way *crosses fingers*) so I'm there during the lunch rush and boy what a rush it was. The register said we had something like over 200 people in 1 hour, lines almost out the door! We even ran out of bread and only had flatbread to use while the new stuff was cooking, we ran out of cookies and some toppings, it was nuts!

For most of the rush I got to be on register which I love cause I was a cashier at Publix for 3 years and it came back like nothing. Still learning where all the sub buttons are but I think I did a pretty good job. Also got to make some sandwiches and I'm still learning what to put on each type so I know I'll get faster. One thing I need a lot of work on is closing the sub after all the stuff is on it (cause these Marines sure love their toppings lol) it'd be so full stuff would be coming out all over the place while I tried to cut the subs, that is something I need work on lol. Worked an extra hour on Friday cause we were so busy, but hey that means extra money.

I'm really liking it so far, it's been a lot of fun and feels good to be working again. Been a bit tired after work but the main thing is my feet kill me, not used to standing on them for so long anymore. But I know that I'll get used to it again soon. Working out hasn't really happened much cause I've been tired & sore but again once I get better adjusted to work then I'll be able to get back into my normal workout routine. Work all next week 9-2 (again love that schedule, hope it stays) and I'm ready for it. I can say I'm glad I started on Thursday cause it gave me a break right away to get adjusted again instead of just jumping right into a 5 day workweek (I'd probably be dead if that would have happened lol).

That's about all that's new with me right now, seems like so much going on but again once I get into a routine it'll be easier and more "normal" lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment